The Russian Institute for Strategic Studies (RISS) is a major scientific-research and analytical centre established by the President of the Russian Federation.
The main task of RISS is to provide information support to the Administration of the President of the Russian Federation, the Federation Council, the State Duma and the Security Council as well as to Government offices, ministries and departments. RISS provides expert appraisals and recommendations and prepares analytical materials for those bodies.
- deals with issues of national security, studying the relationships between Russia and other countries;
- analyses and predicts trends in political and socio-economic processes at global and regional levels;
- examines ways of maintaining strategic stability in new geopolitical conditions and evaluates strategic risk factors;
- considers ways to resolve crises that threaten global and regional stability, paying particular attention to the fight against terrorism;
- resists the falsification of history in the post-Soviet space.
RISS’ research and analysis is carried out by:
RISS’ regional centres are located in Simferopol, Nizhny Novgorod, Kaliningrad, Saint-Petersburg, Rostov-on-Don, Kazan, Ekaterinburg, Arkhangelsk, Chelyabinsk and Vladivostok. Overseas, information and analytical work is conducted by the Institute’s representatives in Poland, Finland, France, as well as at the permanent representation of RISS in Serbia and analytical centre in Transnistria.
Among the academics and experts of RISS are 13 Doctors and 40 Candidates of Sciences. The Institute offers internships for undergraduate and graduate students of universities in Russia and abroad.
RISS publishes a series of books, monographs, anthologies of materials presented at round tables and conferences, periodicals such as «The Russian Vector» and «RISS Analytical Reviews», and the journal «National Strategy Issues», which is included in the list of publications reviewed by the Higher Attestation Commission of the Russian Federation.