Biography: Sergey Karataev was born on September 21, 1976. In 1998 he graduated from the Financial University under the Government of the RF. In 2002 he defended his dissertation for the degree of Candidate of Economics at the Diplomatic Academy of the Russian Foreign Ministry. From 2002 to 2012 he was working in the financial area. Since April 2012 he has been engaging in scientific activity at the Russian Institute for Strategic Studies. He speaks English.
Areas of expertise: the condition of the global financial market; international movement of capital; problems of development of the Russian financial market and the banking system; the investment climate and government economic, credit and finance, and tax policy.
- Karataev “Capital flight from Russia. Is it a cause or a consequence of the unfavorable investment climate?” // journal “National Strategy Issues”. № 3, 2013
- Karataev “About some aspects of the investment climate and their impact on national competitiveness” // The competitiveness of the Russian economy in the XXI century: challenges to the national security. The collection of reports. M.: RISS. 2013
- Karataev “State regulation of financial markets in the global economy: pros and cons” (Review of the book: J. Friedman, W. Kraus “Engineering the Financial Crisis. Systemic Risk and the Failure of Regulation”) // journal “National Strategy Issues”. № 1, 2014
- Prokofyev, S. Karataev, N. Troshin, E. Sharova “De-offshorization of the national economy: international experience and Russian initiatives” // journal “National Strategy Issues”. № 3, 2015
- Karataev “National tax policy as a basis for the formation of a favorable investment climate in the Russian Federation” // journal “National Strategy Issues”. № 5, 2014
- Karataev “The rating agency BRICS: is it a myth or an urgent need?” // journal “National Strategy Issues”. № 2, 2015
- Prokofyev, S. Karataev, P. Zakharov, N. Troshin, E. Sharova, A. Kravtsov “BRICS and the IMF Reform: on the Way to a Fair Multipolar World Order” // CER Discussion Paper. No 1/2015. July 2015. Russian Institute for Strategic Studies; journal “National Strategy Issues”. № 3, 2015
- Karataev “Regional rating agencies as one of the principles of multi-polarity of the world financial system competitiveness” // Innovative cooperation in the SCO region. The collection of reports. М.: RISS. 2015
- Karataev “About the prospects of creating a rating agency BRICS” // Economic cooperation between the BRICS countries as a basis for a multipolar world. The collection of reports. М.: RISS. 2015
G20 Hamburg Summit: a Bad Peace is Better Than a Good Quarrel
Unexpected findings by summit communique results
BRICS and IMF: why the IMF quota formula review still matters
Why the IMF is so important
Chinese proposals inject confidence into implementation of G20 Summit agenda
The world economy has been growing at a roughly 3 percent rate in recent years, asignificant step-back compared with previous years. The growth rate of developedcountries has been under 2 percent over the last few years with no clear indication ofimprovement, while that of the developing countries is slowing down as well.