Biography: He is leading expert of the Russian Federation in the field of relations between the countries in the Commonwealth of Independent States. He wrote more than 600 scientific, popular scientific and educational-methodical works published in Russia and overseas; including 3 books about monarchist polity, Kazakhstan's model of authoritarianism and post-Soviet Turkmenistan. He is a co-author of more than 20 scientific monographs such as about Kazakhstan (published in 1995 and 2004), Islamic fundamentalism (published in 1995), Belarus (published in 1996), Turkey (published in 1997), Armenia (published in 1998), Uzbekistan (published in 1998), Azerbaijan (published in 2000), Georgia (published in 2003), Iran (published in 2004), various aspects of the CIS development (published in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009), the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (published in 2005, 2008 ), Russian policy in Asia (published in 2006), the Central Eurasia (published in 2006, 2007, 2009), South Caucasus (published in 2007), energy policy in East Asia (published in 2007), the academic multivolume History of the East (published in 2008). He is regular author of the magazines “Tsentralnaya Aziya i Kavkaz” (Central Asia and the Caucasus), “Svobodnaya myisl” (Free thought), “Novaya Evraziya: Rossiya i stranyi blizhnego zarubezhya” (New Eurasia: Russia and near abroad countries), "Obozrevatel", "Russia in global politics", "policy briefs", “Rossiya i musulmanskiy mir” (Russia and the Muslim world), “Duhovnost. Vera Vozrozhdenie” (Spirituality. Faith Revival), “Konstitutsionnoe pravo: vostochnoevropeyskoe obozrenie” (Constitutional law: East European review). He is periodically published in the Independent newspaper and at a number of leading Russian news and patriotic websites. Azhdar Kurtov is Chief Editor of the magazine “Problemy natsionalnoy strategii” (National Strategy Issues) published by the Russian Institute for Strategic Studies.
Areas of expertise: ensuring the foreign policy interests of Russia in the modern world, the transformation of political regimes of post-Soviet States, political and economic processes in the Central Asia and the Middle East countries, the problems of constitutional and international law.
- Russia and Central Asia: partnership in the conditions of independence // The Place of Russia and Mongolia in the current regional configuration. M., RISS 2012
- Projects of the new channels: the potential of the cooperation or a hidden threat to Russia's interests? // National Strategy Issues. 2012. No. 4
- The historical reasons of the five-day war // Moscow. 2012. No. 11
- The Eurasian economic Union and the European Union: general and special // EU Policy towards the union state of Belarus and Russia. Minsk. 2012
- The Eurasian Union: pros and cons // The region and the world. “Nauchno-analiticheskiy zhurnal” (Scientific and analytical journal). 2012 No.1
- The Caucasus in integration projects in the post-Soviet space // The Western Caucasus between past and future. Sukhumi -Moscow. 2013
- The Ghost of the "great Romania" (in co-authorship) // National defense. 2013. No. 2
- Water resources as a cause of conflict in Central Asia // “Svobodnaya mysl” (Free thought). 2013. No. 3
- Central Asia: water-ways are the new reason for contradictions // Central Asia: problems and prospects. M, RISS. 2013